Monday, September 5, 2011

The Graveyard Book

Wow, macabre overload! I not only read all of Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, on my way back from Seattle, but I also finished The Graveyard Book.
White tee - Michael's, Brown belt - Express, Blue jeans - J Brand, Brown wedges - Sam Edelman
I decided to pull out my new colored denim to wear with my review of the book. New colored denim--did you go shopping?!, you shriek at me. No, these are from my last Uniquities shopping trip. The shopping ban has been holding strong now for...two weeks.
Man, it feels like it's been longer than that.
Maybe I stockpiled enough new things that I can just slowly pull them out and make them last for the rest of the year. Or maybe I can switch to buying a lot more books. Or better yet, just go to the library a lot, which is where I picked up The Graveyard Book.
So what do we think?

This is my first Neil Gaiman book--and I liked it! It was a bit of a surprise to start out this children's book with a triple homicide, complete with a picture of a gloved hand holding a knife. I think we all forget what children can handle. For the most part, though, the book was charming, with loving ghosts and guardians that Bod Owens grows up with in the graveyard, hiding from the man that killed his family when he was a baby. Gaiman did manage to frighten me later, when Jack reappears--yikes. I was thrilled with Gaiman's writing style and originality, and I'll definitely need to revisit him and his other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment