Monday, September 5, 2011

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

I spent all of Sunday flying back from Seattle.
Striped shirt - American Eagle (Present from Sister), Dress - H&M, Ruffle army boots - Jeffrey Campbell
Which meant a lot of reading time! I quickly read through Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride, a book actually set in Seattle.
So good food and books coming out of Seattle!
I loved it! Not quite a home run, but I would rate it a 4/5.
And make sure to wear a hood for it to match the cover.
This book surprised me. You read a title like Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, and see the cover and groan a little, worrying that all young adult novels are immature, cheesy, and perhaps all have a supernatural element these days.

Yes, this book did have a lot of supernatural elements, but luckily we didn't focus on vampires and werewolves (though they made appearances). As the title suggests, necromancy was the magical power our main character grappled with, with witches, fey, a fury, a satyr, shifters, ghosts, a talking head, and a zombie panda all showing up too. I appreciated a new spin on the young adult supernatural craze. I also appreciated having a guy as the main character--Sam. We didn't get all caught up in a romantic triangle! There was one hot girl Sam was into and that was enough for the story. A lot of the focus was actually on Sam's friends. A fast-paced story dealing with a fun group of friends with wicked comic timing, this book actually reminded me of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, one of my favorites shows of all time. That is a BIG compliment, Lish McBride. I'm already looking forward to the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment