Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bloggers Do It Better: American Prep Menswear

I am so excited to be doing my first Bloggers Do It Better challenge, an idea from Pretty Shiny Sparkly. I missed out on the first couple of challenges, but now I'm on board. This definitely falls in line with one of my reasons for starting the blog--to challenge myself, fashion-wise. So here I unveil my call to the challenge of American Prep Menswear:
White button-down - Petite Sophisticate, Yellow Tie - Hot Topic (present from Mom ages ago--don't ask), Navy Cardigan - Gap Outlet, Watch - Michele Watches, Purse - Kate Spade, Green Belt - American Eagle, Shorts - Gap, Green Wedges - Steven Madden
I went with simple, prep school colors--a bright yellow, navy blue, and classic green. The white made the colors pop. The purse and shoes were worn to girl-ify the look.

A few things surprised me about this look. How easy it was to do a half-Windsor knot, how special a tie can make you feel, and how completely un-special it seemed to be for everybody else! Look, I don't dress for anybody but me, and I don't expect compliments or comments (yes, I even say that though I am blogging my clothes), but look at me--I am wearing a tie. After a long day of feeling special about it, but becoming more confused over the lack of comments, Child finally said to me after work, "You look kind of like Hermione." Ha! And she doesn't even know that I'm rereading Harry Potter. Then a manager at Chick-Fil-A complimented my look and said I pulled it off well. Bless her. I was growing seriously concerned that nobody noticed my bright yellow tie.
One, it's the most gorgeous yellow, two, it matches my purse, and three, just look at that half-Windsor knot! It only took me two tries!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, the neon yellow is so cute with the navy! Great JOb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the splash of yellow with your matching tie and bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comment! I love how you spiced up your outfit with the yellow bag and the matching tie! Your outfit is definitely something that my prepster would have worn on a colder day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the tie & bag coordination, it looks smashing against the navy cardigan!! Great take on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this outfit! I wore a similar cardigan on Thursday with a tie again. I really like the yellow tie with the yellow bag. I watch Gossip Girl mainly for the clothes but Chuck as well;)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the satchel and the pop of color. Definitely emphasizes young and freshness of your look. Thank you for stopping by MP too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously love every part of this outfit. I've been looking for white shorts like these too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've really been digging yellow lately. But after seeing everybody else's BDIB outfits, I got really inspired. I want to try a whole bunch of other outfits involving ties...but I need them in green, purple, black, striped....

    ReplyDelete