Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Review and Wear Wednesday: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

So I've decided that in order to get books reviewed on the regular, I need to incorporate them even more into my outfits. I've been trying to wear outfits that reflect a book for a while now--whether it's just wearing colors that are on the book cover, or trying to wear outfits that reflect a time period, or if a character is described wearing something, trying to replicate that. But now I'm going to try to do that more by having Review and Wear Wednesdays! Like Haturdays, I can't promise that I will do this every week, but having a dedicated day might have me review books more, like I wear hats more. Without further ado....
Necklace - Nordstrom, Top - Old Navy, Watch - Michele Watches, Dress (worn as skirt) - American Eagle, Sandals - Dolce Vita
Here's my outfit for The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.
It features flowers!
That chartreuse green from the top looks familiar....
Not familiar with the cover? Guess what color it is.
Sorry for the crappy file, but you get the idea.
Never read the book? It's very well regarded among the YA crowd. And since I'm trying to get into Young Adult more than ever, I thought, I must read the cool cult classic.

And as I read and when I finished, I thought, I am way too old for this shit.
Some positives first! I loved Charlie's parents, and noted a few times in my Kindle, "Ha" or ":)", so I must have gotten some enjoyment out of this book.

And now my main problems. How do I say this without looking like a big jerk?...Here goes. You guys, I thought Charlie was mentally handicapped in some way. I am not familiar with too much of that situation (so I completely apologize for the ignorance that is about to come out here), but I kept trying to work out if he had autism, specifically Asperger's, going on...? And then Charlie made some older friends at his high school, and I thought, Well, that's really nice of those kids to look past any mental or social difficulties and hang with Charlie. And then they went to a party and Charlie got high with everybody else and I thought, Oh geez, who gives drugs to a kid with a disorder like that? I mean, that could go really, really wrong, right? And then I thought, OMG, he doesn't have any sort of disorder. Except maybe some emotional scarring from some unknown incident when he was younger. And then I thought, That's it? That's all?! Parents (that I loved), can we get him more counseling? And some sex education, please? And maybe don't let him go to parties with these older kids because I don't think he's mature enough? Parents?!

Maybe it's because I am a parent but I couldn't wrap my head around...anything really for the rest of the book. I just kind of kept cringing. Or maybe it's just because I'm a reasonable person who used to be a teenager. I mean, can you imagine being the girl that hooks up with Charlie? Because I cannot imagine being that girl. And yet, there is a girl in this book hooking up with Charlie. Who dates a college boy after they break up? What kind of girl goes from Charlie to a college boy? I mean, emotionally and maturity-wise, this is a big jump (if you think I'm possibly giving college boys too much credit, seriously, read this book and you can see for yourself the level Charlie is at).

(And, look, if Charlie really does have autism of some form or something else, this was not clear to me by the end of the book. And maybe I'm an idiot, but please, explain this to me, author. Because I am going to seriously think your book is horrendous, and judging by other people's reviews, I am not the only one.)

There are also a ton of cliches and "beautiful moments" in here that, as a teenager, you might eat up, but otherwise, you might vomit some. (Okay, sorry, maybe some teenagers wouldn't eat it up, but I guess I'm thinking about myself as a teenager that would have wept and quoted this book to everybody forever.)

No comments:

Post a Comment